top of page

NullPointerException While Calling Inbound BPM Service Through SoapUI

While doing some application testing on the Business Process Manager (BPM) 7.5.1 Advanced platform, I noticed some strange behavior while making a call out to a Lombardi service using SoapUI. You may see this error in SoapUI:

[2/16/12 14:57:34:534 CST] 00000034 wle_inbnd_ws  I   CWLLG1122I: The TWSOAPLogger has provided a message: Message Type: SOAP Request Name: XXXXX XML String: http://XXXX.tws“; xmlns:sch=”http://XXXXX/schema/“>; <soapenv:Header /> <soapenv:Body> <sendJobResult> <batchJobID>XXXXXX</batchJobID> <jobResult> <returnCode>0</returnCode> <returnMsg>Ended OK</returnMsg> <jobStartedAt>2012-02-16 13:27:53</jobStartedAt> <jobEndedAt>2012-02-16 14:07:31</jobEndedAt> <isTimedOut>false</isTimedOut> <isKilledByRequest>false</isKilledByRequest> <isInterrupted>false</isInterrupted> <resultValues> <item> <item> <key>CONTROLM_STATUS</key> <value>Ended OK</value> </item> <item> <key>CONTROLM_JOBID</key> <value>4u6hk</value> </item> </item> </resultValues> </jobResult> </sendJobResult> soapenv:Body> soapenv:Envelope> [2/16/12 14:57:34:537 CST] 00000034 wle_inbnd_ws  I   CWLLG1122I: The TWSOAPLogger has provided a message: Message Type: SOAP Response Name: XXXXX XML String:“; xmlns:xsd=”“; xmlns:xsi=”“>; <soapenv:Body> <soapenv:Fault>    soapenv:Server.userException       <faultstring>java.lang.NullPointerException</faultstring> <detail> <ns1:hostname xmlns:ns1=””>XXXXXns1:hostname>; </detail> soapenv:Fault> soapenv:Body> soapenv:Envelope>

I have put XXXX in the request and response to protect sensitive data and I have highlighted the NullPointerException in red text.

After doing some research, it turns out that this issue appears if you have the following iFix installed on your platform:

You can check for this iFix by navigating to your {WAS_INSTALL_ROOT)/bin and executing (or bat for windows) -maintenancePackages. This will produce a list of all fixes installed on your platform. If the fix mentioned above is installed, simply bring down all of your jvms, nodeagents, and deployment manager (whole environment needs to be down). Then navigate to you Installation Manager Root directory/eclipse/tools and execute the following command:

imcl uninstall -installationDirectory {WAS_INSTALL_ROOT}  -log /logs/uninstallfix.log

where installationDirectory is where your BPM product is installed and specify the location to where you want to write the uninstall log to.

Then bring up your whole environment and again run the -maintenancePackages command to validate that the iFix was removed.

You should then be able to execute you SoapUI request without receiving a NullPointerException.

Share this:

  1. Facebook

  2. LinkedIn

  3. Twitter

  4. Email

#nullpointerexception #BPM #businessprocessmanager #websphere #webservice #IBMBPM

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

In order to keep your Process Center environment clean and running optimally, you need to perform some routine actions at a minimum of a weekly basis: Terminate and delete all unnecessary process inst